Storyboard & Script: Feedback

We showed our storyboard mock-up of the film, and our script to several people for evaluation and feedback. The best, most in-depth potentially helpful feedback was given from Mr Jackson.

He suggested, that we switch around our sound bridge in our script, so that the film starts with genuine singing, before moving into a sound bridge. This makes viewer more in-depth with the character, but also makes more sense, as opposed to moving in and out of a sound bridge.


Preliminary task – Take 2

The preliminary task is to plan, film and produce a short film demonstrating a conversation. The preliminary task
should incorporate the 180 degree rule and shot-reverse-shot. This part of the task is take 2, and should demonstrate improvement from take 1. Improvements are given via constructive criticism of take 1.

I joined the AS Media Studies course three weeks late, meaning that I do not have the planning or footage for the original take. For other students, the first take was to help assist them in learning how to operate the different pieces of equipment, along with the different techniques to create a professional scene. Due to my late joining of the course, I will be thrown into the deep end, in order to quickly learn and pickup the skills to use the equipment and software.

For this improvement, we have been mixed into groups (different from the take 1 that other students have completed). My group, of four, is made up of Emilia (Millie) Pearce, Sean Stubbs and Emily Jackson.


Firstly, we had a quick discussion of ideas before we began to produce our storyboard and script. Our ideas included a student being told bad news about a fatal accident with their sibling, a first date and an interview. Our final decision was to mix two of our ideas, a first date with bad news, to produce a mood changing scene which incorporates shot-reverse-shot.

Other than the idea creation, we had two very important tasks that would greatly assist our filming. Firstly, was a storyboard. Emily utilized her drawing skills to draw a basic scene out, whilst Sean and myself set to work on the script. Whilst the storyboard and script were being produced, Millie booked a school classroom, for filming the next day. Sean and myself produced the script, which created the atmosphere of a first date. Half way through this date, a bystander from outside the restaurant runs in, looking scared, asking if anyone can help him, as someone has been run over.

Male:     “Hi, I’m Oliver. Sorry I’m late, my train was delayed.”
Female: “I didn’t think you’d come.”
Male:     “It’s nice meeting you.”
Female: “You too.”
Male:     “Have you been waiting long?”
Female: “No, how was your journey?”


We began filming in our booked room, with a few actors. Millie, asked some of her friends to act for us, which was both a positive and a negative. One of our actors was rowdy and unsupportive when waiting to be filmed. This caused issues with our sound recordings, and caused us to have to re-film scenes multiple times, which in the end wasted a chunk of time. This timing issue also pushed us to film the different shots only once.

The filming, other than this problem, went fairly smooth. We shot multiple times for most of the different shots. This allowed us to have multiple opportunities of footage. We also utilized the boom microphone, which allowed us to capture high quality audio. The tripod we used was an excellent quality, however due to our own insufficient knowledge we failed to use it to it’s full potential.

Filming took little time, and other than the issues I’ve already described, was relatively easy to complete. The audio recording took a little practice to prefect, as we had wires and the actual microphone dropping into the top of the shot.


The editing of the raw footage presented multiple issues, mainly those outlined in the execution section. We realised that multiple sections of the audio and video footage was useless, due to our operation of the equipment and the undisciplined actors.

Due to the unusable footage, I was forced to change a little of the story. Rather than having a bystander run in, alerting the dating couple of the accident outside, I was forced to leave the footage on a cliffhanger, where someone is seen running into the room. This allows for the viewer to interpret the ending how they wish to.


Altogether, the hour of filming was good enough for us to get some decent footage, with more organization, it could have been better. We were forced to use a confined set of footage, due to the issues we were presented with during our filming. We attempted to keep to the techniques we were to be using, the 180 degree rule, shot-reverse-shot and match on action, and with a good outcome. All of our footage followed the 180 degree rule (although we shot from two sides of the imaginary line). We shot shot-reverse-shot and match-on-action throughout multiple ways, however I only incorporated match on action in one way, on the door handle for the male partner.